THE APPCELERATOR MOBILE DEVELOPER CHALLENGE CONTEST
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. INTERNET ACCESS IS REQUIRED TO ENTER. Void where prohibited or restricted by law.
BY REGISTERING FOR THIS CONTEST, YOU FULLY AND UNCONDITIONALLY AGREE TO COMPLY WITH ALL OF THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS BELOW. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH ANY OF THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, DO NOT REGISTER FOR THIS CONTEST AND DO NOT SUBMIT AN ENTRY.
COMMON TERMS USED IN THESE RULES:
These are the official rules that govern how the Appcelerator Mobile Developer Challenge contest promotion will operate. This promotion will be simply referred to as the “Contest” throughout the rest of these rules.
In these rules, “Appcelerator”, “we” “our” and “us” refer to Appcelerator, Inc. the sponsor of the Contest. “You,” “yourself,” “I,” “me,” and “my” refers to an eligible Contest entrant.
1. CONTEST DESCRIPTION:
This is a skill-based Contest. The object of this Contest is to create a mobile application that best illustrates the capabilities of Appcelerator Studio, Appcelerator Cloud Services, and the Titanium Marketplace Modules. For the purpose of this Contest, each mobile application you create and submit in the Contest will be called an “entry.” Entry eligibility will be determined using the criteria in Paragraph 4. All eligible entries received will be judged using the criteria in Paragraph 7, and the judges will select one (1) first prize winner and three (3) honorable mention winners.
2. What are the start and end dates?
This Contest starts at 9:00 AM Pacific Time on March 17, 2014 and ends at 5:00 PM Pacific Time May 16, 2014. This will be referred to as the Entry Period throughout the rest of these rules. Entries must be received within the Entry Period to be eligible. Any received outside of those dates will be disqualified.
3. Can You enter?
You are eligible to enter this Contest if you meet the following eligibility requirements: The Contest is sponsored by Appcelerator, Inc. (“Sponsor”) and is open and offered only to individuals fourteen (14) years of age or older at time of entry. If you are a minor, you should ask your parent’s or legal guardian’s permission prior to submitting an entry in this Contest. Appcelerator, Inc., its affiliates, subsidiaries, and their respective employees, officers, directors, representatives, agents, consultants, contractors and their family members are not eligible to participate and will be disqualified. Residents of the province of Puerto Rico, Quebec in Canada, Cuba, Iran, Syria, North Korea, Italy, Myanmar (formerly Burma) and Sudan are not eligible to participate. The Contest is void in these countries and where otherwise prohibited or restricted by law. Appcelerator reserves the right to limit, or restrict upon notice, participation in the Contest to any person who fails to comply with these terms and conditions. This Contest is void outside the geographic area described above and wherever else prohibited by law.
4. What constitutes an eligible entry?
To be eligible for judging an entry must meet the following content / technical requirements:
Entries to the Appcelerator Mobile Developer Challenge must have some kind of technical touch point (API or tool integration, or direct implementation with) one of the following Appcelerator technologies:
Appcelerator or Titanium Studio
Titanium Mobile SDK
Appcelerator Cloud Services (ACS)
your entry must be your own original work; and
your entry cannot have been selected as a winner in any other contest; and
you must have obtained any and all consents, approvals or licenses required for you to submit your entry; and
your entry must not otherwise violate the rights of any other person or company by using their trademarks, music, logos, names or images without their express written consent.
5. How will my entry be potentially used?
Other than what is set forth below, we are not claiming any ownership rights to your entry. However, by submitting your entry, you (or, if you are a minor, your parent or legal guardian):
are granting us an irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide right and license to: (i) use, review, assess, test and otherwise analyze your entry and all its content in connection with this Contest; and (ii) feature your entry and all its content in connection with the promotion of this Contest or future Appcelerator promotions in all media (now known or later developed);
agree to sign any necessary documentation that may be required for us and our designees to make use of the rights you granted above;
understand and acknowledge that we may have developed or commissioned materials similar or identical to your submission and you waive any claims you may have resulting from any similarities to your entry;
understand that we cannot control the incoming information you will disclose to our representatives in the course of entering, or what our representatives will remember about your entry. You also understand that we will not restrict work assignments of representatives who have had access to your entry. By entering this Contest, you agree that use of information in our representatives’ unaided memories in the development or deployment of our products or services does not create liability for us under this agreement or copyright or trade secret law;
understand that you will not receive any compensation or credit for use of your entry, other than what is described in these Official Rules. Please note that following the end of this Contest your entry may be posted on a website selected by us for viewing by visitors to that website. We are not responsible for any unauthorized use of your entry by visitors to this website. While we reserve these rights, we are not obligated to use your entry for any purpose, even if it has been selected as a winning entry. If you (or, if you are a minor, your parent or legal guardian) do not want to grant us these rights to your entry, please do not enter this Contest.
6. How do you submit your entry?
Enter at Appcelerator.ChallengePost.com. There is no limit to the amount of entries.
We are not responsible for entries that we do not receive for any reason, or for entries that we receive but are not decipherable for any reason.
We will automatically disqualify:
(1) Aany incomplete or illegible entry.; and
(2) Any entries that we receive from you that are in excess of the entry limit described above.
7. How will entries be judged?
A panel of judges will review all eligible entries received and will select one (1) first prize winner and three (3) honorable mention winners based upon the following criteria:
Depth of Integration with Appcelerator: Does the app take advantage of the unique functionality offered by Appcelerator? Does the app demonstrate an understanding of the features Appcelerator offers?
APIs: Are you leveraging enterprise APIs to improve the experience for your users?
Viability: Does the app target a viable market? Do clear revenue models emerge? Does the app solve a clear problem?
Originality of Concept: Is the application unique and innovative? Does it bring new functionality to mobile devices?
Execution/traction: Is the app fully functional? How well does the design/UI work? Does the app have users? Social media presence? Press mentions?
The decisions of these judges are final and binding. If we do not receive a sufficient number of entries meeting the entry requirements, we may, at our discretion, select fewer than one (1) first prize winner and three (3) honorable mention winners. In the event of a tie between any eligible entries, the tie will be broken by an additional judge who will judge the tied entries based on the criteria listed above.
8. What are the prizes?
1st Place: $2500
2nd Place: $1000 (2 prizes)
Appcelerator MBaas Kicker: $1000
Cross-platform Award: $200 Amazon gift card and an Appcelerator swag pack
Automating a Manual Business Problem Award: Integrator Award: $200 Amazon gift card and an Appcelerator swag pack
If for any reason the advertised prize is unavailable, we reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value. We will only award one (1) prize per person. If you are selected as a potential winner of this Contest:
(1) You may not exchange your prize for cash or any other merchandise or services; (2) You may not designate someone else as the winner. If you are unable or unwilling to accept your prize, we will award it to an alternate potential winner; (3) If you accept a prize, you will be solely responsible for any local, provincial, state, federal or any other applicable taxes, and any other costs, expenses and fees connected with the prize. In order to receive a prize, you must submit to Sponsor the tax documentation or information requested by Sponsor or otherwise required by applicable law, including, where relevant, the law of the potential winner’s country of residence. You (or your parent or legal guardian) is responsible for ensuring compliance with all the applicable tax laws and filing requirements. If you fail to provide such documentation or comply with such laws, the prize may be forfeited and Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, select an alternative potential winner.
9. How will you know if you’re a winner?
On or around May 16, 2014, we, or a company acting under our authorization, will complete judging and one (1) first prize winner and three (3) honorable mention winners. will be determined based on the criteria stated above. If you are a potential winner, we will notify you by sending a message to the e-mail address, the phone number, or mailing address (if any) listed on your entry within seven (7) days following the selection. If the notification that we send is returned as undeliverable, or you are otherwise unreachable for any reason, we may award the prize to an alternate selected winner. If there is a dispute as to who is the potential winner, we will consider the potential winner to be the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to enter the Contest, or the person residing at the mailing address listed on your entry. If you are a potential winner, we may require you to sign an affidavit of eligibility, liability/publicity release and W-9 form. If you do not sign and return these required forms within the time period listed on the winner notification message, we may disqualify you and select an alternate randomly selected winner.
10. What other conditions are you are agreeing to by entering this Contest?
By entering this Contest you (your parent or legal guardian if you are a minor) agree and/or understand that:
(1.) To abide by these Official Rules; (2.) To the extent allowed by law, to release and hold harmless Appcelerator, their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees and agents from any and all liability or any injury, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this Contest or any prize won; (3.) That Appcelerator’s decision will be final and binding on all matters related to this Contest; (4.) That Appcelerator may use your proper name and state of residence online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this Contest, without payment or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law; and (5.) This Contest and any action related thereto shall be governed, controlled, interpreted and defined by and under the laws of the State of California and the United States, without regard to the conflicts of laws provisions thereof. The exclusive jurisdiction and venue of any action with respect to the subject matter of these Terms and Conditions shall be the state courts of the State of California for the County of Santa Clara or the United States District Court for the Northern District of California and each of the parties hereto submits itself to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of such courts for the purpose of any such action. The parties specifically disclaim the UN Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods. Any and all claims, judgments, and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with participating in this Contest, but in no event attorneys’ fees. Entrants hereby waive all rights to (i) claim or be awarded any punitive, direct, indirect, incidental, and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and (ii) to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased, including for willful patent infringement.
11. How can you find out who won?
We will post the names of confirmed winners online after May 21, 2014 at Appcelerator.ChallengePost.com. This list will remain posted until June, 21 2014.
13. Who is sponsoring this Contest?
Appcelerator is the sponsor of this Contest.
440 N. Bernardo Ave.
Mountain View, CA 94043
14. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY AND RELEASE: ENTRANT AGREES THAT SPONSOR, ITS AFFILIATES, DIVISIONS, SUBSIDIARIES, RESELLERS, DEALERS, DISTRIBUTORS, ADVERTISING/PROMOTION AGENCIES, AND ALL OF THEIR RESPECTIVE OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, CONTRACTORS, REPRESENTATIVES AND AGENTS (“RELEASED PARTIES”) WILL HAVE NO LIABILITY WHATSOEVER FOR, AND WILL BE RELEASED AND HELD HARMLESS BY ENTRANT FOR ANY CLAIMS, LIABILITIES, OR CAUSES OF ACTION OF ANY KIND OR NATURE FOR ANY INJURY, LOSS OR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES TO PERSONS, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION DISABILITY OR DEATH, EXCEPT IN CASES OF DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY CAUSED BY NEGLIGENCE, AND DAMAGE TO PROPERTY, DUE IN WHOLE OR IN PART, ARISING DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, NOW OR IN THE FUTURE FROM THE DELIVERY, ACCEPTANCE, USE OR MISUSE OF THE PRIZE, ANY AND ALL USE AS PROVIDED HEREIN OF THEIR ENTRY, OR PARTICIPATION IN THIS CONTEST AND/OR ANY RELATED ACTIVITY. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, EVERYTHING ON THE SITE IS PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, IN WHICH CASE SUCH LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION SHALL APPLY ONLY TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY THE LAW IN THE RELEVANT JURISDICTION.
Appcelerator is a registered trademarks of Appcelerator, Inc. Any third party trademarks mentioned herein are the property of their respective trademark owners.